Hi, I’m Kelly!
I’m the founder and author of Lipstick and Ink and am so, so excited you’re here.
I’m based in the beautiful city of Chicago and have been an Illinois girl all my life. I grew up in the Chicago suburbs and then made the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign (I-L-L anyone?!) my treasured home for four wonderful years. I received my bachelor’s in Advertising and started my career at a Chicago advertising agency. These days, I currently live in the Lakeview neighborhood with my husband, Adam, and work full-time in the tech industry.
I’m fueled by black coffee, sunshine, fresh flowers, a bold lip and pretty pens. I’m a hoarder and supporter of handwritten notes. I’m a #bossbabe and not afraid to show it. The fall season gives me life with the crisp air and leaves, warm apple cider and fantasy football. Anything that glitters catches my eye and I believe gold is never out of style.
Some other fun facts about me:
- When people asked me so many years ago what I wanted to be when I grew up, I always said ‘a writer.’
- You’ll find me with at least 3 lip colors in my purse at all times (Burt’s Bees Lip Shimmers are my fave).
- I am obsessed with the weather. People tend to bring up the weather to make small talk, but I really just love talking about it and am fascinated with the natural wonder of it all. Adam and my friends even look to me for their weather forecast!
- I’m the epitome of a Type A person. Everything needs to be in order (hello, color coordinated closet) and I love having a plan in place. Needless to say, I’m not typically a fan of spontaneity.
- I enjoy giving career tips and advice, which is part of the reason why I started Lipstick & Ink. I’m often reviewing my friends’ resumes or talking them through that job or promotion they are vying for.
- You can usually find me at home or running errands in athleisure. Comfort is key, girls.
- I will never step outside or go out in public without earrings on. I feel naked without them!
- Taking care of my skin is one of my top health priorities, so I make sure to regularly get facials, consistently moisturize and never go to bed with makeup on!
- Once I’m done with a vacation, I immediately think of the next one I can plan – 10 page itinerary and all.
- The only drinks I need in life are coffee, water, and wine.
And with that, I hope you’ll pour a cup of coffee or a glass of wine (or both, cuz #YOLO) and stay awhile. Whether we’re jotting down how to tackle our careers or the places we’ve traveled, let’s write our story together and make our mark, one lipstick stain at a time.
The Idea Behind “Lipstick & Ink”
I wanted a name for my blog that was going to connect with the young professional woman. The woman who wants to achieve greatness in her career and her life. The woman who wants to break the glass ceiling. The woman who knows when to speak up for herself. The woman who wants to be mindful of her mental and physical health. The woman who wants to see and travel the world. I wanted to create a brand for this woman that was authentic, classic and timeless, but still very much me. This is what led me to the idea of lipstick and ink….
I’m a diehard believer in the magic of lipstick. I’m pretty sure I was the first of my friends to wear it. I still remember a night out in high school when I pulled out a tube from my purse and went to do a touch-up. One of my friends I was with looked at me in dismay. “You wear lipstick? How old are you?” she asked. Let’s just say, I didn’t let that comment stop me from wearing it. I have worn my lipstick with pride all of these years because I simply love the way it makes me feel.
I believe a woman wearing lipstick truly embodies self-confidence and empowerment. She’s the woman who looks at herself in the mirror and thinks, I am beautiful. She’s the woman who stands out in a crowd. She’s the woman who knows she can do anything she sets her mind to. With just a few swipes of her favorite color, she feels invigorated and ready to take on the world.
Hate it or not, we now live in a world of people’s faces buried in their screens. People now read their books on tablets. People now get their breaking news from their Twitter feed. People are sharing their lives through social media. However, wouldn’t you agree even with the daily use of things like email and text, there’s still just something nostalgic and pure about the written word?
I’ve always been a firm supporter of writing letters and jotting down my thoughts. Believe it or not, I started writing in journals at the age of seven. At that time, my logic was that I wanted to write everything happening in my life in case I didn’t remember it all in my old age. I continued journaling through grade school, high school, and college, all the way up until today. I journaled every day of my honeymoon in our travel journal. There’s just something special about putting a pen to paper and writing down whatever comes to mind. And that’s exactly what I’m going to do here at Lipstick and Ink.
I’m going to encourage you to buy that red lipstick and wear it with pride. I’m going to urge you to pull yourself away from your phone, open a notebook, and grab a pen and write. Write what’s on your mind. Write your to-do list. Write a letter to someone you love. Embrace some lipstick and ink in your life. I’ll be here along the way, doing the same and cheering you on.